May 24, 2009

Dude what's with Twitter?



Can someone explain to me the whole "Twitter" craze? Maybe I'm missing something but I have little desire - no scratch that - no desire to know when someone is "eating a ham sandwich", or "thinking about watching American Idol."

If you are honest with yourself, most people have nothing note worthy to say at the best of times - why do they think that their thoughts have more substance to them when published on the latest social networking site? Who is that interesting that you want to be updated via wifi connection about their every coming and going?

It was in the news recently about which celebrity had the most followers on Twitter. Ashton Kutcher's name came up several times in these articles. To build on my previous point about people not having anything news worthy to contribute to the plethora of tweets and twitters that are out there consider this;

If a celebrity's cinematic claim to fame is "Dude where's my Car?" - what makes you think that getting regular updates via Twitter will give you any more insight into their character?

Imagine for a moment that the collective twittering of planet earth would be analyzed by scientists hundreds of years from now. It has been said that you can learn much about a people through the study of their communication. What on earth would these learned men and women deduce from our nonsensical twitterings?

Ancient civilizations had items such as the "Rosetta Stone" that allowed scientists to gain valuable insight into their culture and how they lived. Scientists of tomorrow will be forced to rely on gems such as "picking up dry cleaning" and "eating marinated figs, mmh delicious" to give them insight.

If these same scientists of tomorrow get a hold of "Dude where's my Car?" I fear no good can come of it.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

Although I belong to Twitter, and occasionally tweet the odd thing or two, I honestly don't know what it's about either...at all. Except, perhaps, that it's just another place to advertise your wares, i.e. business, website, blog...

I think I'd rather just live in a cave.

Anonymous said...

*thinking about having a beer later.

See...? Now do you see the awesomeness?

No...me neither. God bless future historians everywhere.

www.peglegstarfish.com

Janet Jarrell said...

I am on twitter - rarely. People follow me but I really do not kow why. I leave random messages, most using the word twit - I am yet to be twit-r-pated...

Deb said...

I was going to post pretty much the same thing, but you said it better. Thank you. I was even deleting blogs that used Twitter from my blog list because the twittering twits were pissing me off, but that just left me with no blog list. I think I'll go start my own Rosetta Stone.

Anonymous said...

For someone like me with A.D.D., and as I'm the poster child for procrastination, it's a Godsend. Absolutely useless random ramblings and a stalker's delight. I'm in heaven...